Wednesday, June 22, 2011

This..must..be...POP!

       As a kid/ pre-teen growing up you always remember your first crush right?  Well I was a child of the 90's and was involved in a major boy-band revolution growing up.  Around 6th or 7th grade was when I could feel the divide happening within my group of girlfriends.  Not only was it a question of which Junior High were you going to in town (the preppy school or the ghetto school) but it was which boyband did you undyingly support and plaster you notebook with pictures of? Backstreet Boys? or *NSync. There was the occasional 98 Degrees and O-Town supporters but that's a different secondary breed :). 

      I was a BSB-er until my dying breath and if anyone wanted to throw down with me I was ready to go....even with my best friend.  It was the classic tale of two best friends, different in most ways but always had an underlying similarity that connected them.  She had blonde hair, I had brown hair, she was tall, I was average, but we both had brown eyes.  There was also the BIG elephant in the room....she was crazy about my enemy...*Nsync!!! *GASP!!!* How DARE she!!!! We would throw gentle banter around like "*NStink* or BackSuck Boys  (because that makes sense..) but there was always a little bitterness there of "Oh my gosh, how can they seriously like them??? they're so lame....ew"  Fast forward 10 years and both of us are jumping around in a sweaty crowd jumping up and down to "Back...streets...back...ALRIGHT!"

This morning I was reminded of this particular time period of my adolescense when I heard a radio commercial for the upcoming NKOTBSB concert  (when our powers combine.....) and all of a sudden all these memories came FLOODING back into my brain.   Then I thought about my mother who had to endure this stage twice with both me and my older sister.  My sister was obsessed with NKOTB during her teen years and my mom thought that was the worst of it....until I came along :)  As luck would have it, the three of us were able to get great seats to the show coming up in July and can't WAIT for.

Now the pop quiz portion of this blog.  I'm going to show some pictures of boy bands, see if you can remember who they are: BAM!
#1


#2

#3



#4


#5


How did you score?

#1- 98 degrees

#2- Backstreet Boys

#3- *Nsync

#4- O-Town

#5- LFO


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember buying every magazine because they had BSB on the cover? And I would buy all the *NSYNC covers? And we would put them in our school binders with the front where you can slide pictures into?? But at the ghetto school of UJHS, we were not allowed to put pictures in our binders. But to show our support for our band, we would put the pictures anyway, or at least until we got caught and had to take our pictures out. So instead, we'd just keep the pictures on the inside of our binders, because we could not even hang pictures in our lockers. lol Oh, and can't forget our brothers constantly nagging us that "They are not a band. They don't play their own instruments. Metallica on the other hand, was a REAL band." Oh geez... what good memories.

    PS "It's tearin' up my heart" that you still are a die hard BSB fan. ;-) Oh, and I got 5 out of 5. ;-)

    ReplyDelete